Oftentimes, it’s the most facile, easily overlooked things that can result in disastrous injuries. The term “slip and fall” may sound innocuous; after all, everybody slips or falls once in a while. But sometimes, catastrophe strikes, and landing at the wrong angle on a wet floor can result in severe injuries. When the accident was due to the negligent actions (or inactions) of another party – such as when a business is aware of a wet spot on a mopped floor but fails to post the appropriate warnings – the victim may be able to recover financial compensation for their injuries. Recovering from a slip and fall injury can be an emotionally, physically, and financially taxing ordeal. Knowing how to react when such an accident happens is essential in order to get compensation for lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering incurred as the result of somebody else’s negligence.
Steps To Take After A Slip & Fall Accident
- File official reports: If possible, make an incident report with the premises’ management. Having an official complaint on file can be a key piece of evidence in proving that the accident you are claiming actually happened.
- Thoroughly evaluate the scene: If you are able to, you should carefully assess the scene of the accident for any potential causes of the fall. Was the floor wet, with no warning signs? Were there any unsafe railings or wobbly stairs? The optimal time to spot the cause of your slip and fall is right after it happens, so that the scene is still unchanged and nobody has had time to alter it (such as an employee cleaning up a spill).
- Gather photographic evidence: Fortunately these days, we all have cameras in our back pockets. Use your phone to capture photo and video evidence of the scene. It will likely become crucial evidence to substantiate your claim.
- Gather witness information: If your slip and fall happens at a business, approach any other customers who were there to witness your accident and get their contact information. Your lawyer can help you follow up with these witnesses and get detailed statements to present to the jury.
- Immediately seek medical attention: Even if you don’t feel injured immediately after slipping and falling, you should always seek medical attention as soon as you are able to. The reason for this is twofold: First, some injuries don’t become apparent for hours, or even days after the accident. Secondly, getting checked out by a licensed medical professional as soon as possible after the accident helps document your injuries so that the insurance company can’t claim they were incurred after the accident. Medical evaluation after an accident provides key evidence of your injuries.
Contact Us Today
Remember that insurance companies are always looking out for their bottom line, and will use any excuse to pay you as little as possible for your injuries. That’s why it’s important to have an experienced personal injury attorney on your side to advocate for your rights and help you get the optimal results for your case while you rest and recuperate from your injuries. Call Rosenblum & Mayer for a free initial consultation with a top Florida personal injury lawyer today.